Friday, September 9, 2011

Just Some Thoughts and Happenings

So....thank God for Fridays...although not all Fridays are created equal. Take this one for instance....kind of a pain. We had a short week this. Students had Monday & Tuesday off because of Labor Day, and we teachers had Monday off, w/ an inservice on Tuesday. The long weekend was great for me (did some duck hunting - got 6, got a lot of work done, and we even able to relax! That, my friends, is a rare & precious commodity). It was not, however, good for my students. They were a little out of sorts (or more so than usual) this week, and I am very happy that I get a break. I love these half day Fridays. We get the whole afternoon off, I can actually run to post office and check my mail (usually none, but it's something to do). It's nice.

On an even more exciting note, I get to see some of the other new teachers tonight & tomorrow. There's a day of New Teacher Inservice tomorrow, so Dorothy, Cindy, and I are flying into Bethel this afternoon. Tonight, some of the New Teachers have organized a little get together, so that will be really nice to re-connect w/ them and see how things are going in the other villages. It will also be a chance to do a little shopping (I feel kinda lame for getting excited about this...like maybe I need to turn in my Man Card...). I'm also curious about what we're going to learn about at the inservice tomorrow.

So, between now and 5 (assuming the plane is on time...HA!), I've gotta get all packed up, finish my shopping list, and eat some food. I think I'm going to cook up some of those ducks I shot this weekend and put them over some pasta. Probably invite Cindy & Dorothy over as well. Which reminds me....

I decided to be a nice guy this past Monday, and cook up some of my whitefish for Cindy and Dorothy. It was a very nice meal - pan fried whitefish w/ mashed potatoes...yummmm! However, I had a little hiccup at the beginning of the meal prep. While chopping up some potatoes (so they'd soften up more quickly in the boil), my subconscious mind thought it would be a great idea to curl my thumb underneath the potato I was chopping with a rather sharp knife (courtesy of my father). Well... in case any of you are not yet aware, when I sharp knife blade forced downward comes in to contact w/ your soft fleshy thumb, your soft fleshy thumb has an uncanny ability to become a little bit smaller than it was previously. In simpler terms, I cut off the tip of my thumb while cutting potatoes this pas Monday. My left thumb now has a flat spot. So, I had to prepare most of the meal w/ one hand (not the easiest thing in the world), and try not to bleed all over the food (once I wrapped the thumb in some paper towels, that was pretty easy). Now it's the waiting game. Gotta wait for my stupid thumb to heal over a little bit so it doesn't sting all the time, and I can take the bandages off, and have a fully functioning left hand once more. I do have some pictures of the wound which I'll put on facebook and up here (I have quite a few pictures I have to get up here, don't i?). It really isn't that big of a deal. It was a relatively small piece that I lopped off, and I don't see my thumb becoming hideously deformed from this incident (maybe a little weird looking on close inspection), I'd be very surprised indeed if the injury has any lasting effects.

Anyhow, I supposed it's time I make some food and get ready for Bethel. Thanks for tuning in, and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment