Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cross Country

So, traveled to Bethel last night for a Cross Country meet today. It was nice. Got to see Matt (new teacher at Nunap), and it was a nice chance to be w/ some students outside of the school, and the classroom. There were six students, 5 of which I have in at least one of my classes. It was a lot of fun. A couple of the kids did really well. The course is just a big sand pit. I think it was a 5K for the High Schoolers. It was actually pretty interesting to look at. One of the weirdest things is that there were a bunch of random cars (all rusted to heck and not worth the metal they're made of) strewn about the pit. I'm curious as to why they're there. One of the boys ran today for his first time as a Varsity runner (they run double the distance of the Junior High kids) and placed 12th, out of 40-60 runners.  One of the junior high boys placed 15th in his first Cross Country meet ever. Last night we played some basketball, "Not It" (tag), and watched most of the new Tron Movie (it started to get too late, so we ended the movie a little early).

It's turning out to be beautiful day. Sitting here at the airport in Bethel I can see the Kilbuck Mountains pretty clearly. It's nice to be reminded that there are places in the world with topography. Another bit of good news is that it sounds like I'm going to get a kitten! One of my cross country boys has some kittens and he says that he's going to give me one. I really hope he follows through because I just bought food, litter, a pet carrier, a litter box, and a litter scoop in preparation for this kitty. It will be very nice to have a little cat around :)  Mom already doesn't want me to get one, but oh well. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it over Christmas, but I'll figure something out. The other thing is that I'll probably have to get it into Bethel sometime to get it fixed, and maybe even declawed or get some shots or something. We'll see. I'm not even sure Bethel has a vet, but with as many dogs as there are out here, I have to believe there's a vet in Bethel.

Anyways...I can't think of anything else to share right now. Things are generally going the same. Still a lot of work that I have to do, but I'm getting better w/ the planning, and there's a still a lot of work to be done w/ the students, but things will get better. I got a shipment of food in yesterday, I had a fun couple of days in Bethel, there's no school on Monday, and I think I'm getting a pet :) Life doesn't sound so bad at all, now does it. I hope everything back home (and elsewhere) is doing great. Thanks for tuning in once again, and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment